Dirty drains can be an unsightly problem in any home. Not only do they look unpleasant, but they can also cause a multitude of other issues from odors to blockages that can lead to flooding and water damage. Knowing why your drains become clogged and how to clean them is essential for proper maintenance and avoiding costly plumbing repairs.
What Causes Drains to Become Blocked?
There are two main causes of blocked drains: debris buildup and tree root infiltration:
1. Debris Buildup: Every day, we wash away small pieces of food, soap scum, hair, and other bits of debris down the drain. Over time, these materials can collect in your pipes and cause blockages.
2. Tree Root Infiltration: If a tree root grows close enough to a pipe it can become lodged in the pipe and disrupt the flow of water. This is most likely to happen with older homes where tree roots have had more time to grow close to the sewer lines.
How Do You Clean Blocked Drains?
1. Chemical Cleaners: Chemical cleaners are commonly used for blocked drains because they are relatively affordable and easy to use. Most chemical cleaners contain strong corrosive ingredients that break down debris and dissolve tree roots, unclogging the drain. It is important to use these products safely as they can be hazardous if handled incorrectly.
2. Professional Cleaning: If chemical cleaners don’t do the job, you may need to call in a professional plumber. Professional cleaning involves using specialized equipment such as hydro-jetting systems or augers to clear out the blockages. This is more expensive than using chemical cleaners but it can often be more effective in clearing tough clogs.
What Is Involved In Professional Bathroom Drain Cleaning?
Drain cleaning in Jacksonville, NC, involves a variety of steps and they are as follows.
1. Inspection: The plumber will first inspect the drain to identify the cause of the clog.
2. Removal of Obstructions: The plumber will then use a specialized tool such as an auger or hydro-jetting system to remove any obstructions in the pipe.
3. Cleaning: After all obstructions have been removed, the plumber will clean out any residual debris with a high-pressure water jet.
4. Testing: Finally, the plumber will test for proper flow and make sure that there are no more blockages.
What Is The Difference Between Hydro-Jetting And Augers?
- Hydro-Jetting: Hydro-jetting drain cleaning involves using a high-pressure water jet to effectively cut through blockages and debris. It is most effective on grease and organic matter buildups, but it can also be used to clear out roots if necessary.
- Augers: An auger is a snake-like tool that is inserted into the drain pipe and used to physically remove obstructions such as tree roots or large pieces of debris. It is often the only way to clear tough clogs, but it may not be as effective at removing more stubborn materials like grease.
What Can I Do To Keep My Drains Clear?
1. Avoid Flushing Debris: Don’t flush large pieces of food, hair, or other debris down the drain. This can cause clogs and lead to expensive plumbing repairs.
2. Use Drain Strainers: Install drain strainers in your sinks and showers to catch any debris before it enters the pipes.
3. Avoid Chemical Cleaners: Chemical cleaners can be hazardous if used incorrectly, so use them sparingly and only as a last resort.
4. Perform Regular Maintenance: Have your drains inspected regularly by a professional plumber. This will help you identify any issues early on and avoid costly repairs down the line.
Blocked drains can cause significant damage if left unchecked so it’s important to know how to clean them properly. Chemical cleaners are a relatively affordable and easy-to-use option, but if they don’t work you will need to call in a professional plumber. Professional bathroom drain cleaning in Jacksonville, NC often involves using specialized equipment such as hydro-jetting systems or augers to clear out the blockages. No matter what method you use, it is essential to ensure that your drains are cleaned properly for optimal performance and to avoid any costly repairs down the line.
At Wild Water Plumbing, we specialize in bathroom drain cleaning services in Jacksonville, NC, and surrounding areas. We have the expertise and equipment needed to quickly clear out any blockages and restore your plumbing system to optimal condition.
Contact us today at 703-586-7025 for more information!